August 22, 2012

8/16/12 - Grand Teton NP

To get to Grand Teton National Park, we drove through Yellowstone geyser basin, past Old Faithful, then crossed the Continental Divide 3 times. 

We then drove all 8 miles of the John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Memorial Parkway.  (I have 3 pictures; trust me, you don't care!)

We drove along the shore of Jackson Lake, and I got my first glimpse of the Teton Range  (those pale shadows fading off in the distance to the left.)
We stopped at Colter Bay--Visitor Center and Marina.
When I was a little kid, my aunt and cousin took a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I've seen those slides a gazillion times. I always thought the Tetons were impressive mountains, so I was really looking forward to this park.  There are lots of forest fires in the area, and the smoke got worse as the day progressed.  So did the visibility.  If you'd waited over 50 years, you'd have been disappointed too.  (sigh)

Want to see more pictures of the Tetons through the smoke?  Click on this link:  Grand Teton NP