October 7, 2017

10/3/17 - Mossy Cave Hike

Scenic Byway 12 is Utah's only All-American Road.  I didn't think I could talk George into the whole 129 miles to Torrey, but sometimes you do this sort of thing in bits and pieces.  Escalante sounded good, but I'd settle for Cannonville if he'd agree to Kodachrome State Park.

We passed the junction for Hwy. 63 into Bryce Canyon National Park because I was saving that for another day.  Four miles later, I saw the sign for the Mossy Cave Trail parking area alongside the road.  We stopped to go on the short hike.  George really wasn't getting into the purpose of my route for this trip south--to return to places we'd already been, then explore new things or favorites.  To break him into it gradually, I had to promise it would be a short hike.

When people ask me what my favorite place has been on this whole journey, I always tell them it's the red rocks in Utah.  I don't care if they're sculptured hoodoos, slick, stacked or arched.  The rocks high above this trail fit the criteria.
I kept getting a glimpse of windows in the rocks on the rim.  It was sort of a "now-you-see-it,-now-you-don't" peek, but I kept my eyes open and up.
The trail runs along the Tropic Ditch.  In 1892, Mormon farmers diverted water from the East Fork of the Sevier River over the cliffs of Bryce Canyon into the Tropic Valley for irrigation.
We met another couple along the trail, and continued with them.  Nice people caravaning with friends heading to Arizona for the winter.  The season begins early for some snowbirds.

After the trail crosses the ditch, it forks and goes to either the waterfall or the cave.
We all opted for the waterfall first.  This was not a major decision.  I didn't think it would really matter since I'd planned to see both anyway.  It wouldn't make the short hike much longer. 
Finally got a chance to see the windows I'd seen earlier.  I counted 4, George thinks there are 5.  Pretty sure one of us right.
Next up was the cave.  I knew it wouldn't be Mammoth or Carlsbad, but unless there's more of it below the viewpoint, I'd hardly qualify it as a cave.  (The park calls it a "grotto"--I would have said "overhang".)  Glad we went to the falls first.
When we got back to the truck, we exchanged name cards with Vern and Barbara.  Hope to see them in Arizona this year.

More pictures from Mossy Cave Hike

Post a comment.

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: