April 9, 2013

4/2/13 - Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks NM

Most parks we've visited are managed by (NPS) National Parks Service, but some are managed by other agencies.  Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument is managed by BLM (Bureau of Land Management).  I have no idea why...
We met a family who had just finished the hike, and they gave us some pointers on how far and which way to go.  I told them I'd put their picture in my blog--I wish I knew their names.  (NOTE:  if you would like to be featured in my blog, please contact me during a hike.  No expenses will be paid for the participants.) 

"Kasha-Katuwe" means "white cliffs" in the Pueblo language.  The cliffs layers are delicate colors, pastel stripes on wallpaper in a trendy decorating scheme.  I chose the peach palette.
We took the Canyon Trail up a slot canyon, followed by a steep climb to the mesa top.  The cliffs swirl up and around. 
Big gray clouds were moving in around us--unless you're more than 1/2 mountain goat, a slot canyon is not a good place to be if it rains.
   
 

The cliffs and tent rocks were formed by volcanic eruptions a long, long  (long!) time ago.  They call them "hoodoos", but aren't like the ones we saw in Bryce Canyon.  They remind me more of pale versions of the toadstools we saw in Utah.  Some even have capstones.

 
The view of the mountains and the Rio Grande Valley from the mesa were worth it. 
There's a moral here.  Just because something isn't as famous as the Grand Canyon doesn't mean it's not worth a detour.  And there probably won't be as many people!

Here's more pictures--click here and watch the slideshow.