October 20, 2012

10/1/12 – Catstair Canyon Hike

The ranger at Glen Canyon Dam recommended this hike.  He said it was one of his favorite hikes.  We weren’t terribly impressed…
 

It's a short drive to GSENM (Grand Staircase-Escalante Natl Monument).  Once you find the right guardrail on the right curve, just open the gate and drive through, the trail goes right up the Catstair Canyon wash.  (Don't forget to close the gate.)



When you actually get to the canyon, there are lots of petroglyphs and pictographs up on one section of the wall. 
Some pop out; some are really hard to see.   Some have been obscured, and some are just plain grafitti.
  
My favorite was the deer reflected in water, but you need to know what it’s supposed to be and then use your imagination a bit.  I have a really good imagination. 
There were some flowers I hadn't seen before alongside the trail, so of course I took pictures.  Don't have a clue what it is, but I like it!
 It was a mighty short hike.